Comparison of forged flange and cast flange
Forged flange in general than the cast flange of low carbon is not easy to rust, forging streamline organization good, more dense, mechanical performance is better than casting flange; forging process will also appear improper grain big or not, the hardening crack phenomenon, the cost is higher than the casting flange forging.
Forged flanges has the better mechanical properties than cast flange.
cast flange has the advantages that could have more complex shape, low cost.
The advantages and disadvantages of the two production processes:
(1) The flanges after casting process have precise dimension, small processing volume and low cost, but have defects, like pores, cracks and impurities and relatively poor streamlined structure.
(2) Forged flanges are easier to get rusty but have better compact and streamlined structure and mechanical properties than cast flanges.
(3) Improper forging process will result in large or inhomogeneous grains, hardened cracks and higher forging cost than casting process.
(4) Forgings have better shearing and tensile resistance than castings.
(5) Castings are more easily produced in various complicated forms with relatively low cost.
(6) Forgings have the advantage of being homogeneous in internal structure without unfavorable defects like pores and impurities.